Repeat post

Andrew Walton andrewfixcomputer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:24:02 UTC 2015

On 08/08/15 15:39, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> I see this as a problem that needs to be solved, but I will be blunt:
> somebody has to be interested in implementing it, and I am not sure
> anybody is.

I understand this. I think that even if the issue gets discussed
privately among yourselves progress has been made. A lot of people truly
have no idea of the disparity between suburban and rural connectivity
issues.

> I think the right place to add a new setting is the network panel: you
> should be able to mark a particular connection as being bandwidth
> -limited. Then at the *very least* that should be used to turn off
> automatic checks for updates, since we get complaints about that from
> bandwidth-limited users quite frequently. I am not sure if we want to
> take the route of using the firewall to prevent applications from
> accessing the network; it seems reasonable since it would require
> toggling a hard-to-find setting, but some design work would be needed
> to make the prompts work well.
>
> Michael
Thank you very much for your reply, Michael. In the mean time people
will keep buying me beer to sort it for them.

Cheers,

Andrew.