FMN Announcement: Plans for a (near) future

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 18:17:56 UTC 2014

Dear all,

We would like to invite you to take a closer look at the Fedora Notification
service: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications/

This service will allow you to customize the notifications you receive, you may
ask it to send you IRC notification for successfull koji builds and email
notifications for failed koji builds.  You may ask it to send you pkgdb
notifications only via IRC and even to wait a little after receiving the first
pkgdb notification before sending it to you (thus allowing it to batch your
notifications into a digest).

We have already mentioned this service in an email on the devel list few
months ago[1] and we now are getting to that point that we want to turn off
email notifications from pkgdb.  Bodhi2 which is planned in the coming months
will also not have email notifications. All information will be going through
fedmsg and you will be able to receive them (or not) via FMN.

This is thus a head-up about what will happen in a very near future.

As a packager, it is important that you are notified about a number of actions
happening on the packages you maintain.  We looked at who is currently using
FMN vs who is in the packager group:
   1566 packagers
   160 users in FMN
   1453 packagers do not have a FMN account

Here's what we're going to be doing (soon):

- All the packagers that do not have a FMN account (ie: never logged in) will
  have an account created automatically with the default rules that everyone
  has when they log in for the first time (these rules should provide the same
  level of notification as one currently has with the different systems).

- We have code in place that will automatically create a FMN account for users
  added to the packager group that do not already have an account there.

So please, have a look at it or if you are a packager, we will create you an
account automatically in the next few weeks.

Finally, if you have any comments or questions, feel free to open a ticket at:
https://github.com/fedora-infra/fmn/

Thanks for your attention,
- Ralph on behalf of the Fedora Infrastructure team

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-July/201118.html