Macbook Pro 13.3" (5,5) Fedora 12 notes

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 7 21:14:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 15:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > 	<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
> >         <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
> > type="string">On</merge>
>
> Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.

What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.

> Beyond that, I can't find bugs filed from you on any of the "It doesn't
> work" issues.

I only just found all of these issues. I'll file some bugs later.

> It's not acceptable for users to have to remove packages, run scripts or
> manually change VTs in order for this to work, and perpetuating these
> workarounds in locations that are likely to encoruage others to do the
> same just means that it's less likely we'll ever fix the underlying
> problem.

I agree. I'm not interested in perpetuating anything, however I am
interested in a Macbook being useful right now rather than in 6 or 12
months from now. Therefore I'll take some horrible VT hack for suspend,
and I'll live with a kludged up mouse driver that actually works for me.
I wanted to share some instructions for those who can't figure this out
but nonetheless do buy a Macbook and want to run Fedora with it today.

Also, I repartitioned part of it earlier in order to keep a small
staging (F13) and rawhide around. I'll try the latest bits and give an
update on what works - I don't mind being a guinea pig and rebooting to
test, but I'm not running rawhide as my regular desktop experience ;)

Jon.