Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sat Feb 27 03:42:02 UTC 2010

On 2/26/2010 5:36 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> Just so you can't ever use this argument again.  I want fewer updates and
>> I'm a Fedora user.
>>
> IMHO you're really using the wrong distro. ;-)
>
> My point is that there are plenty of users who want the current updates or
> even more updates. And whereas the people like you have plenty of other
> choices, those users have very few choices, Fedora is the main one. See e.g.
> the strongly positive feedback we got from some users for our KDE 4.4.0
> update (and I'm sure there are many more happy users who just don't bother
> sending a "Thanks, you rule!" type mail).

I used to want more KDE updates, now I want fewer (be careful what you
wish for - you might get it).  I use Fedora because it is a rapidly
moving distro and has good support to modern hardware because of that.
I also strongly agree with its principles of pure open source, openness
to volunteers, and close working with upstream.  But as an administrator
of a couple dozen different hardware platforms running Fedora, testing
major updates every 6 months is work enough.  Now I have to deal with it
constantly.  I would happily wait until F13 for KDE 4.4.0.  I certainly
can't see the need for it to appear in F11 (isn't the fact that someone
hasn't bothered upgrading to F12 indication that they are looking for a
little stability?).  Even if things are "better:, it is disruptive
because my users have to deal with changing behavior on someone else's
schedule and I have to explain it to them.

I voted for you for FESCO because I thought having a KDE person on the
board would be helpful.  Now I really regret it because you seem to have
no skills for actually promoting cooperation and understanding between
different groups of people.

- Orion Poplawski