Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 01:06:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 01:36 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > If I want lots of updates, I'd use rawhide.
>
> That doesn't fit the requirements of the group of users I think we should
> target (of which I'm part, but I can assure you I'm far from the only one in
> that group). Rawhide is frequently broken. We want frequent updates, but
> filtered to include only the stuff which isn't broken and which also doesn't
> break things for users, e.g. cause surprise backwards-incompatible changes
> to config file formats, data formats etc. Except for the occasional (very
> rare) screwup, our stable updates are like that. Even updates-testing is
> already too bleeding-edgy. Rawhide is not a solution.

What you are describing is pretty close to rawhide-without-the-breakage.
Lifting rawhide to the level where it can be used by the class of user
you describe will be good for everybody, since it will also give us more
time to create polished releases, without having to fight rawhide fires
all the time. Thankfully, people are hard at work to make rawhide more
usable day-to-day, see the autoqa efforts.

I don't see how this has anything to do with pushing directly to stable,
though.

Matthias

PS I think I must have read some ~100 mails from you in this thread
today. Maybe it is time to slow down and take a break...