opencv 2.0.0 soname change

Haïkel Guémar karlthered at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:41:52 UTC 2010

Le 27/02/2010 16:28, Rakesh Pandit a écrit :
> On 27 February 2010 20:24, Haïkel Guémar wrote:
>> Branches affected: F-13 and devel
>>

>> Since OpenCV has deleted few weeks ago the autotools based build system,
>> we will switch to cmake :
>> https://code.ros.org/trac/opencv/changeset/2528
>>
> [..]
>
> Are you kidding ? No *communication* :( At this stage we never wanted
> an update for any reason, nor extra work for lot of other folks. Alas
> I had some more time at hand.

Did you receive my previous email thursday following the last discussion
about OpenCV 2.0 ? (Nicolas and Karel were CC'ed too)
I'm sorry if you didn't get it. :(

I was waiting OpenCV folks decision about the soname issue, hoping that
they stick to a saner soname policy. But then i was busy with job
interviews. I've just moved in and started my new job this week.

Anyway, since OpenCV brutally removed autotools support from svn [1], we
have no other choice than moving to cmake.
As OpenCV 2 has never been shipped into a stable release, pushing the
change now will avoid us struggling with soname issues later in stable
releases (unless upstream decides to break stuff again).
OpenCV 1.x was nothing more than a glorified "beta" (if not alpha) for
Intel, OpenCV 2.x is expected to be a little more stable.

By itself, the move to cmake is no problem: it's well maintained (issues
with sse are fixed for instance), the libdir patch was done, and no
problems with chrooted builds. If I could, i would have rebuilt myself
the packages to avoid that annoyance to fellow maintainers.

H.

[1] it was supposed to be maintained at least during the whole 2.0.x
branch life.