[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:09:54 UTC 2010

2010/7/22 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> I think it's time to re-inform everyone since they seemed to be so
> focused on systemd and have completely forgot about upstart.
>
> Nobody has said anything that upstart was being deprecated nobody!

That's not exactly what I'm talking about... though that's certainly
another fallback position which should I hope provide enough of a
fallback solution for Chris others who agree with him.

I'm talking about the _better_ fallback position of relying on
systemd's compatibility with sysinit style init instead of systemd
native files  when specific sysadmins find that their
configuration/management infrastructure isn't ready to handle the
native files and then work towards moving services to native as they
get more confident in the new configuration format.

Sure going back to upstart provides a fallback, but not in a way that
encourages people to start dealing with the changes in their local
policy and to wrap their heads around systemd native stuff.  I don't
want to help people hide from systemd, I want to encourage admins to
get familiar with systemd at the pace that makes sense for them in
their environment. I think advertising sysinit styled init fallback
running under systemd with no native configs that admins can choose
makes sense if we can do it.

-jef