[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Jul 23 01:42:27 UTC 2010

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/22 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> > I think it's time to re-inform everyone since they seemed to be so
> > focused on systemd and have completely forgot about upstart.
> >
> > Nobody has said anything that upstart was being deprecated nobody!
>
> That's not exactly what I'm talking about... though that's certainly
> another fallback position which should I hope provide enough of a
> fallback solution for Chris others who agree with him.
>
> I'm talking about the _better_ fallback position of relying on
> systemd's compatibility with sysinit style init instead of systemd
> native files  when specific sysadmins find that their
> configuration/management infrastructure isn't ready to handle the
> native files and then work towards moving services to native as they
> get more confident in the new configuration format.

Compatibility with native SysVinit-style upstart is of very little help if
the relevant commands (at least the most used options) aren't
available. E.g. when the big switchover from ipchains to iptables was in
swing, you could (almost) use your old configuration files (mostly calls to
the relevant commands) with no change.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513