Unsafe Django version being pushed to stable

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:05:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:39:57AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 11:36 AM, H. Guémar wrote:
> > Just one thing, the title is misleading since Django 1.2.x is not an
> > "unsafe" version.
>
> Well, it's unsafe to drop it into a stable distribution since it's not
> completely backwards-compatible.
>
> > So what's the plan ? The update was also pushed in previous release like F12.
> >

> > Best regards,
> > H.
>
> Unfortunately, now that it's been pushed to stable, we're stuck with it.
> Probably we need to have the Transifex maintainer rebuild with a
> Conflicts: Django >= 1.2 so that it will keep yum from upgrading into a
> broken setup.
>
> I've rebuilt ReviewBoard today for Fedora 13 with a compatible version.

I don't like it when we have to resort to this but now that the packages
have gone out to the stable repository we may need to do this::
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_Eggs#Multiple_Versions

Parallel Django 1.1 and 1.2 stacks.  Use either sys.path or setuptools
__requires__ to pull in the correct version of django depending on the app.

-Toshio