Evolution update in F13

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Sat Jun 26 16:14:08 UTC 2010

> I talked to notting &c about this earlier, and we've hit this situation
> before. The 'scenario' is simply that there's really no screening
> between 'submit' and 'push' for stable updates, and this one was
> submitted to stable before any negative karma came in. There's no
> reliable process whereby whoever's doing the push to stable actually
> looks at feedback before doing it; unless they happen to have been made
> aware that a particular package shouldn't be pushed, they just push
> everything that's been submitted.

There actually is a way to get feedback on updates before pushing.
Bodhi's admin request list interface gives everything in the list headed
to stable a color based on some heuristics.  So it's quite easy to scan
the list and look at the red updates, which have negative karma, or
haven't been in testing long.  However, I think all of our bodhi admins
who kick off the pushes use the command-line instead.

I think that in this case, the command-line bodhi client could be
improved to make it obvious that they're about to push an update with
negative karma.

[...]

> The requirement for proventester feedback for critpath updates, when we
> turn it on, should also catch problems like this in the critpath. Evo
> isn't critpath, though, I believe.

evolution-data-server is in the critpath, and having the proventester
feedback policy implemented would have definitely caught this issue.

luke