Thrashing between updates-testing and updates

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Mar 1 18:42:04 UTC 2010

Currently I am following F13 and I have been noticing a lot of packages
disappearing from updates-testing before showing up in the branched release
(but similar things happen with normal updates, just less often).

When things disappear from updates-testing it isn't immediately obvious
if this is because the updates are bad or because the update has been pushed
to stable.

Since I have a local mirror and the packages disappear between syncs, I end
up downloading them twice. When stuff ends up having the same key regardless
of testing status, this is especially wasteful.

What I'd like to see is stuff stay in updates-testing for a while so that
the hard link feature of rsync can be used to avoid downloading the data
twice. And so that I don't get false alarms for stuff that may need to get
downgraded.