Thrashing between updates-testing and updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 22:33:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 12:42 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Currently I am following F13 and I have been noticing a lot of packages
> disappearing from updates-testing before showing up in the branched release
> (but similar things happen with normal updates, just less often).
>
> When things disappear from updates-testing it isn't immediately obvious
> if this is because the updates are bad or because the update has been pushed
> to stable.
>
> Since I have a local mirror and the packages disappear between syncs, I end
> up downloading them twice. When stuff ends up having the same key regardless
> of testing status, this is especially wasteful.
>
> What I'd like to see is stuff stay in updates-testing for a while so that
> the hard link feature of rsync can be used to avoid downloading the data
> twice. And so that I don't get false alarms for stuff that may need to get
> downgraded.

That's going to be pretty difficult to do with the way our push and sync
scripts work.

At most an update that is going from testing to stable should disappear
for only a few hours, that would be between the updates-testing push of
the day an the subsequent branched compose each night.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!