Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 12 19:39:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> I think you're hitting the nail on the head with this question.  However,
> I'm afraid that the answer depends on the class of user.  Some users want to
> have their old bugs fixed ASAP and are willing to tolerate some regressions
> as long as those regressions are in turn fixed.  Other users are willing to
> work around a known bug as long as they don't have to learn about new bugs
> when an update comes along.
>
> Except for a few people's proposals (dledford, adamw, jreznik, lmacken,
> dmalcolm) most of the proposals are weighting one of these viewpoints over
> the other which is not a very good way to build a community.

I think it is a fine way to BUILD a community - but it's building a
community that matches a certain demographic.

It's like marketing features, if your features can be handled for a
particular demographic then that's the community you build.

I think what you're saying is "it's not a very good way to build a
community of EVERYONE" but it is not obvious to me that:

1. we want everyone
2. we can come up with a way to target everyone.

-sv