Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 13 20:48:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 00:52 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> > Fundamental point of view difference.  You take the point of view of
>> > push everything all the time /unless/ there is a good enough reason not
>> > to.
>> >
>> > Others take the point of view of not updating anything unless there is a
>> > good enough reason /to/.
>>
>> Right. "Fundamental point of view difference" indeed. But the former is the
>> point of view many of our users defend, too. :-) See e.g. the results of
>> Adam Williamson's poll.
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler
>>

> s/many/some/.  We have absolutely no scientific data that demonstrates
> what any measure of our userbase defend or don't defend.  What we have
> is data that /some/ users prefer lots and lots of updates.  We also have
> data that /some/ users prefer a more conservative approach to updates to
> our stable releases.  We also have a vision statement from the Fedora
> Board that reads to me like a vision for conservative updates to our
> stable release.
>
> While it's true that some of our users appreciate the rapid stream of
> updates, we may have to lose those users, or redirect them to other
> avenues to rapid updates within the Fedora project and release stream.

Well, you fight since a long time for this, at least 2007. Could be
dangerous to play with that fire. Let that part of our users go
(anyways, if they have to use rawhide they can also leave, there are
better/more stable alternatives out there) and dream of catching some
of the "other distro" users. We have some of the best users out there.
testing stuff, file bug reports, dont cry around much if something
breaks *and* still using Fedora. And you want to give away all that
for some distro hoppers? Wow.

Why, do you think, should just a single user change to Fedora, away
from Ubuntu or any other Distro? Because we're blue? Or because we do
the same just in RPM? Some "slow-it-down-people" do really think that
a half baken X-server 1.7beta will make users of other distros go away
because they use just 1.6, or our release kernel is 2.6.31.3 and
others have 2.6.31.1 trough release-time?

Sorry, but everyone thinking that Fedora's leading edge is because of
broken/half baked techs trough release time, should use some of the
other distros just to become familiar of what he's talking of.
Other distros have even all the brand new stuff as we have, just in a
lot of third-party repos. Sometimes even with dependency hell.
That's something Fedora doesn't have (well maybe in some very rare
cases). We update that stuff trough our reliable repos. But this will
change soon if you play to hard. We might see a wild garden of repos
with deps hell out there. This somehow reminds to something.. Man, my
Alzheimer's disease hurts me sometimes..

You will never get a single user of the other distros if you dont have
anything special to offer. That's basic stuff you have to know in
every company. Be special, or be nothing. I really, really dont
understand why some people try extremely hard to train wreck Fedora.
And nobody is able to explain it.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium