Fedora has become fat!

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 17:04:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Christoph Wickert
>> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why has Fedora become so fat in the F13 development cycle?
>>>
>>>      * The LXDE Spin has grown from 464 MB to 509 MB [1] without a
>>>        single change in the Spin. There actually was a change, SLIM was
>>>        replaced with LXDM, but LXDM is actually smaller because it
>>>        doesn't require the desktop-brackgrounds package
>>>      * The Xfce spin has grown from 697 MB to 744 MB [2] without major
>>>        changes. In fact, we dropped totem and gftp, which is at least
>>>        10 MB.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what made Fedora become so fat or how to further investigate
>>> this?
>>
>> I've found with Moblin and Sugar that one of the easiest/quickest but
>> probably not the most eloquent way is to do a 'rpm -qa | sort >
>> rpm-out' and then using some horrible diff hacking to get a rough idea
>> of what's changed.
>

> rpm -qa --qf "%{name}\n" | sort > rpm-out
>
> then you can diff the two more easily.

I also like to do a

rpm -qa --qf '%{SIZE} %{NAME}\n" | sort -n > rpm-size-out

and one could do a

rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME} %{SIZE}\n' | sort > rpm-size

and compare per package to see what has grown. Also are there extra
debugging being turned on for the alpha/betas? I know that a long time
ago (back when your pappy and I fought in the great Distro war) we
turned on extra stuff during alpha/betas to help find problems.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning