Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Mon May 3 18:21:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:34 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> > I think it's a bit disingenuous to talk about prevailing opinion of the
> > mailing list otherwise; to me a lot of the discussion looks an awful lot
> > like a vocal minority
>
> I think it's quite cheap to write off the mailing list consensus as a "vocal
> minority" with no evidence for such a conclusion.

No, not really. Consensus of "the list" is not the same as consensus of
the participants of a particular discussion - if anything, the evidence
has to come the other way that a particular discussion does in any way
reflect the balance of developer opinion.

I'm not saying that opinions on the list are worthless; quite the
contrary. I just don't think it constitutes evidence one way or another
as to the balance of opinion of the members of the list.

> > and some of these issues (e.g., confusing the name of the Desktop spin
> > with others) have been pretty much done to death and certainly aren't
> > "obvious" to me.
>
> Why should we not call the GNOME spin, and the GNOME desktop in general, by
> its name?

This has been done to death, surely?

For one, I don't think applications should get chosen for the Desktop
spin for being GNOME: e.g., I wouldn't choose Epiphany over Firefox,
even though it's more lightweight, better integrated, etc. Prioritizing
non-GNOME applications doesn't seem right for something you would label
"GNOME spin".

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com