Chain builds for non-rawhide

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 20:36:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am maintaining eclipse-egit and eclipse-jgit. Since
eclipse-egit depends on eclipse-jgit it makes sense to
use chain-builds when building them (this is simply
faster than waiting for eclipse-jgit to build, and
become available in the repos before eclipse-git can
be built).

Ok, that works for rawhide.

Unfortunately this isn't possible for non-rawhide releases.

I could start speculating and think of reasons as to why
that's the case, but rather ask the more knowledgeable :)

So, what were the reasons for not allowing chain-builds
for non-rawhide?

Many thanks!
Severin

P.S.: The error message:
 Could not initiate build: Packages in destination tag
 dist-f14-updates-candidate are not inherited bybuild
 tag dist-f14-build
doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps an error message
indicating that chain-build is not available would be
more meaningful.