Chain builds for non-rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 20:58:03 UTC 2010

On 10/5/10 1:36 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am maintaining eclipse-egit and eclipse-jgit. Since
> eclipse-egit depends on eclipse-jgit it makes sense to
> use chain-builds when building them (this is simply
> faster than waiting for eclipse-jgit to build, and
> become available in the repos before eclipse-git can
> be built).
>
> Ok, that works for rawhide.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't possible for non-rawhide releases.
>
> I could start speculating and think of reasons as to why
> that's the case, but rather ask the more knowledgeable :)
>
> So, what were the reasons for not allowing chain-builds
> for non-rawhide?
>
> Many thanks!
> Severin
>
> P.S.: The error message:
>  Could not initiate build: Packages in destination tag
>  dist-f14-updates-candidate are not inherited bybuild
>  tag dist-f14-build
> doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps an error message
> indicating that chain-build is not available would be
> more meaningful.

Sorry that it's terse.  Once we branch a release away, we do not have a
direct relationship between "it built" and "it will be in the public
repo".  As such, it is dangerous to allow just-built items into the
buildroot for future builds, as this could lead to a package being built
against software that is never released.  A variety of problems happen
in this scenario.  As such, we carefully maintain what goes into the
buildroots, only by default taking things which have been marked as
"stable" via bodhi, or things we explicitly tag in for a short period of
time in order to accomplish a set of builds.

The way to "chain" build for a branch is to request a buildroot override:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Working_with_packages_in_the_stable_branches

That should be easier to find, kudos to anybody that works on making it so.

- --
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating