Mounting an encrypted volume presents the volume to all users on a machine

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Oct 26 20:10:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 13:16:41 -0600,
  "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity... when are these being mounted? If we are talking
> about mounting a partition from a user session that's one thing and can
> easily make it user only accessible with a checkbox I guess. I'm
> wondering though, when you plug in a USB thumbdrive... don't all users
> have access? What's the difference here? Are we talking about system
> wide mounts like mine where only /home is encrypted??

This is where we should be going. Encryption is really irrelavent. The issue
should be if a removable device is inserted, who should have access to it
if it gets automounted. I would expect encrypted and unencrypted devices
to get the same treatment. The encrypted devices do already have a pop up,
so maybe that makes it not as much effort to ask a question when the device
is mounted. But I don't see otherwise why one would want to treat encrypted
and uncrypted removable devices differently.