orphaning gdk-pixbuf

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Dec 3 22:18:33 UTC 2011

Kevin Fenzi wrote about gdk-pixbuf:
 > It failed the mass rebuild, not much left that depends on it, and
 > nothing I need. ;)
[...]

>  So, if anyone really really really wants to keep it alive, feel free to
>  take it and fix it so it builds and works. ;)

I use gdk-pixbuf in an application that is used on Fedora but for
licensing reasons can't currently be submitted as a Fedora package.  I'd
hate to see gdk-pixbuf go away, as I don't know what I could use to
replace it.  I've never looked at building gdk-pixbuf myself, and have
never been able to wrap my head around autotools, so if the cause of the
FTBFS isn't obvious, I doubt that I can fix it quickly.  I'm not going
to commit to taking maintainership of the package right now, but if
nobody else does and I find the time to deal with it, perhaps I will in
the future.

As far as I can tell, gdk-pixbuf hasn't been deprecated upstream; there
was a new release in August.  Has anyone notified upstream about the FTBFS?

Eric