policy-question: auto-restart of services on update

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Dec 9 13:21:41 UTC 2011

Am 05.12.2011 01:32, schrieb Björn Persson:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>   is it really a good decision to restart services after update in
>> the %post section?
>>
>> currently my hardest work is rebuild packages without this especially
>> for dist-upgrades with "yum" because in this case many would fail because
>> they are restarted in the middle of the transaction and not all deps are
>> updated
>
> Restarting daemons after an update is a good idea, especially in the case of
> security updates. You don't want a vulnerable version to continue running
> after you think you have updated to the fixed version. Yes you can restart them
> manually if you're aware that you need to, but you shouldn't need to remember
> such things. Automating tedious work is exactly what computers are for.

there are pros and cons

for homeusers this is right
in a production environment it is better to control this

test and rollout updates automatically at business time and crontrolled restarts in
the night where you can decide which depending services on a concrete machine should
be stopped before as example you can restart mysqld, having a postfix rely on mysqld
running and restart mysqld has negative side-effects you can avoid by a simple
script (stop all depedning services, restart mysqld, start all depending services)

in my opinion a configuration-file in /etc/sysconfig to control this behavior which is
per default active would satisfy all users and administrators, so you have the current
behavior as default but give administrators the ability to control like they need