GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 19:03:10 UTC 2011

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 00:30 +0900, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 10:04 -0400, Bernd Stramm wrote:

> > > How about a spec then of what Gnome3 was trying to achiece, and how
> > > about those who like it telling us how Gnome3 achieved those things?

Links to large amounts of information on this were posted in a different
branch of this thread:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/152881.html

> > And this is precisely my point. At the moment criticism and defense both
> > seem a bit aimless because we aren't seeing any references to the
> > interface research someone said happened, interface specifications or
> > even a concept discussion/summary about what gnome-shell was supposed to
> > achieve. It was a serious undertaking, so I'm certain they had goals
> > which were at least clear to someone at some point.
>
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/
>
> and all the links listed at the end of that page.

Thanks Adam.

Likewise, see the copious information linked to in the email linked to
above.

To save people having to scroll up, I'll post the link again here:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/152881.html

Unfortunately this email thread appears to have descended into the
"flame war as historical inevitability" dysfunction described here:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_user.html

(Sigh)

Hope this is helpful
Dave