Feedback on secondary architecture promotion requirements draft

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:14:41 UTC 2012

On 4 April 2012 07:31, Jared K. Smith <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:23 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, for the ugly part.  One of the many complications is that if a US
> non-profit receives the majority of its funding and support from a
> single corporate entity, that the non-profit begins to look like a tax
> shelter, and at least under US law, that causes more headaches than it
> is worth. I'm sure there are other complications as well, but that's
> the most obvious one to me.

It is not just US law. Most countries have similar rules in place for
non-profits due a long history of them being used as fronts for
governments and corporations for tax-dodging, espionage, bribery, and
other shenanigans. In this case the US laws matter because Red Hat is
based in the US.. but the same issues would come up in the EU or
similar places.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd