anaconda verbosity

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Apr 12 15:53:17 UTC 2012

Hello,

   So on Friday I used the netinstall to upgrade my baremetal F15 system
to F17. Went well and I'm enjoying F17 so far. However I noticed that
anaconda is um... too quiet?  When performing the usrmove there was
nothing telling me that anything was going on. There was another stage
that took *forever* where I couldn't tell what my computer was doing,
very little HD activity, no UI etc. I ended up stracing anaconda and
noticed it was downloading the rpm .hdr files. There were a few times
(the upgrade took about 3 hours on my quad core i7 PC) where I was
wondering if it was frozen. I'm wondering if anaconda could be slightly
more verbose? Even just letting me know what it is doing as opposed to
the vague "Initializing or Starting setup..." I can't remember the exact
messages. Alternatively, sometimes the anaconda logs were useful (like
in the case of usrmove). Perhaps at the bottom of the screen some more
detailed messages for those that care could be 'hidden' and expanded
with an arrow or something.

   Perhaps the level of detail is sufficient and I'm the only one who
wants to know what is happening?

   Thoughts?
--
Nathanael d. Noblet