anaconda verbosity

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Apr 12 17:35:45 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:53 AM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>     So on Friday I used the netinstall to upgrade my baremetal F15 system
> to F17. Went well and I'm enjoying F17 so far. However I noticed that
> anaconda is um... too quiet?
[...]
> very little HD activity, no UI etc. I ended up stracing anaconda and
> noticed it was downloading the rpm .hdr files. There were a few times
> (the upgrade took about 3 hours on my quad core i7 PC) where I was
> wondering if it was frozen. I'm wondering if anaconda could be slightly
> more verbose?
[...]
>     Perhaps the level of detail is sufficient and I'm the only one who
> wants to know what is happening?

You're absolutely right, and it's not just anaconda---it's very useful
to be able to figure out what the system is doing. It has huge
performance implications---if we want our systems to be more responsive,
we have to be looking for performance bottlenecks, and application
status and tracing are the right tools.

Unfortunately, tracing has negative security implications and there's an
ongoing SELinux discussion about disabling tracing by default,
systemwide. I don't like that idea, even though it's fairly easy to
override.