Fedora 18 Release name voting and Poll for whether to continue naming releases

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 13:21:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 00:33 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> > Well, as far as I can tell, many Ubuntu and Debian users prefer to call
> > their release "by name".
>
> Yes, and I wonder why Fedora users just don't it. Nobody knows why,

I thought Przemek's explanation (upthread a couple of posts) was
precisely correct, in fact.

Android and Ubuntu names are alphabetized. There have been so few Debian
releases that it's easy to keep the names straight (plus their naming
scheme includes their development releases; our development release
names, Rawhide and Branched, *are* commonly used, but are not tied in
any way at all to the stable release naming system). Fedora has tons of
releases - so many you would need some kind of aide-memoire in the
system to keep them straight - but there is none (unless you can somehow
remember, or reconstruct, all the 'X is also a Y' associations in the
right order).

Also, Fedora uses a simple, clear and consistent numbering scheme.
Ubuntu's is clear and rules-based, but a bit tricky to remember, because
they don't always hit the six month cycle exactly, so the 'month'
portion of the release number changes from release to release. With
Fedora it's just an incremented integer every time, and we've never done
any crazy scheme changes or big bumps or 'reset to V1's like some
distros have.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey