F18, koji and IPv6

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Aug 10 22:03:14 UTC 2012

Dan Williams wrote:
> Nobody really used IPv6 in production when I wrote that piece of code
> for plague (predecessor of Koji) in 2005.

That way of thinking is exactly the reason why the transition to IPv6 is so
far behind schedule today. Nobody felt a need to support IPv6 because nobody
used it, nobody used it because nobody provided it, nobody provided it because
nobody supported it, and that's largely the way it has been since then. The
plan was that everything and everybody should have IPv6 *before* we ran out of
IPv4 addresses. It didn't happen because everyone kept waiting for everyone
else, so here we are now with an Internet that has been split into an IPv4-
only part and an IPv6-only part.

Björn Persson