Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Thu Feb 2 10:02:04 UTC 2012

On jue, 2012-02-02 at 01:16 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Then your implementation in gnome-shell would just be half-assed and crappy,
> just like your implementation of the XEmbed-based spec is. Unlike the
> XEmbed-based spec, the status notifier spec actually allows apps to specify
> whether their icon is "active" or not, and a good implementation will show
> it in the panel if it is active and hide it behind a popup if it is not.

I actually agree to that - if we used the notifier spec in the top bar,
we would either compromise on the intended experience, or provide a
crappy implementation. Or in other words: the spec is a poor fit for
what we try to achieve, so it makes sense to not use it.

> Except that this feature only works that way in GNOME and nowhere else. It
> also makes some strong assumptions on how the message tray looks, which is
> exactly what the status notifier spec tries hard to avoid.

I disagree that it implies how the message tray looks, but it does make
strong assumption on its behavior - plus it allows applications to test
for every optional capability to adjust its behavior to the environment
it's run in. Apparently you think this is a bad thing - fine, don't
implement it. But then don't bully us into implementing a spec which
*we* consider bad because it avoids any such guarantees (not by mistake,
but by design as you will agree)

Florian