[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 09:04:15 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda < bkabrda at redhat.com
> > wrote:

> > Yes, Ralf says how a sentence from FHS "is meant to be
> > interpreted".
> > I'm giving you a clear statement, that distributions may install
> > software into /opt. Is the interpretation that Ralf is mentioning
> > an
> > official interpretation of FHS authors? Because if not, you are
> > clearly preferring your interpretations over a clear statement. Or
> > is there something more that I don't see?\
>

> Yes. I said, see the quote. Not the interpretation. If you see the
> quote, you can tell us how you interpret it. It might also be a
> useful exercise to look at how other distributions interpret it as
> well. What does add-on software mean? If you want to get a official
> interpretation, talk to whoever is supposedly trying to revise it
> now.

> Rahul

Yes, I know the quote, it was me who quoted it in the first place. Add-on application software packages can mean almost anything, which is precisely my point - you interpret it in a very narrow way, and you are not accepting any comments on it. As for the other distributions, I thought we want to do something better/different. Other distributions do not do usrmove and we do, so what is the point in arguing with that?

--

Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.