[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 08:46:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, Ralf says how a sentence from FHS "is meant to be interpreted". I'm
> giving you a clear statement, that distributions may install software into
> /opt. Is the interpretation that Ralf is mentioning an official
> interpretation of FHS authors? Because if not, you are clearly preferring
> your interpretations over a clear statement. Or is there something more
> that I don't see?\

Yes.  I said, see the quote.  Not the interpretation.  If you see the
quote, you can tell us how you interpret it. It might also be a useful
exercise   to look at how other distributions interpret it as well.   What
does add-on software mean?   If you want to get a official interpretation,
talk to whoever is supposedly trying to revise it now.

Rahul