[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 09:11:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> > And more importantly:
> > "Distributions may install software in /opt, but must not modify or
> > delete software installed by the local system administrator without
> > the assent of the local system administrator."
>
> Supposing that we allow Fedora packages to ship files in /opt,
> how would we guarantee that on installation they don't overwrite
> anything the administrator put there? RPM will overwrite an unowned
> file, won't it?
>
> The restriction makes sense.
>
> Michal

You have to see this in connection with the sentence "The directories /opt/bin, /opt/doc, /opt/include, /opt/info, /opt/lib, and /opt/man are reserved for local system administrator use." So if the packages don't use these directories, they won't rewrite anything.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.