[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 11:56:50 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 10:04 AM, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>> And more importantly:
>> "Distributions may install software in /opt, but must not modify or
>> delete software installed by the local system administrator without
>> the assent of the local system administrator."
>
> Supposing that we allow Fedora packages to ship files in /opt,
> how would we guarantee that on installation they don't overwrite
> anything the administrator put there? RPM will overwrite an unowned
> file, won't it?
>
> The restriction makes sense.
>
> Michal

We are against forbidden installation path into /opt, because we are
using it in our project - Dynamic Software Collections. The /opt
directory is used for installation of various Collections. Collections
should provide new or old version of software packaged in rpm. For
example latest Ruby for EL-6 branch or older Ruby for F-17. The
installation path start with - /opt/rh/name_of_collection/root/. I guess
this shouldn't be in conflict with anything else.

We didn't speak up sooner, because we don't have documentation and it's
still in a testing phase. Currently are prepared latest Perl for EL-6
and various Ruby collections for EL-6 and Fedora.

Details and examples could be found in my blog posts:
[1] http://mmaslano.livejournal.com/6685.html
[2] http://mmaslano.livejournal.com/6963.html

Marcela