Issues with yum

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 21:22:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:08:53PM -0500, James Antill wrote:
>  There are at least 3 classes of bugs here:
>
> 1. rpm overrides C-c handling when you do various rpm operations, so
> sometimes what look like "simple" changes mean C-c stops working for
> parts of yum.
>
> 2. DNS handing in Glibc eats C-c, so various network related things
> sometimes mean you have a non-C-c working yum (just like "ping blah"
> C-c). AFAIK the only fixes are "don't ever call anything in proc. that
> can do a glibc DNS lookup" or "add threads".
>
> 3. pycurl/curl/nss also eat C-c ... at least sometimes, and maybe only
> when using rpm as well.
>
> ...before #3 we generally did the debugging and fixed things as best we
> could, and there were a few yum's that people could use where C-c worked
> really well (IIRC the latest el5 one was one).
>  But after #3 we had a lot of other problems in the same vein, so we
> mostly gave up and are waiting for the downloads to not be in proc.
> anymore. At which point it should mostly go away (hopefully we can get
> rid of #2 as well ... so just need to be really careful about #1
> problems).

How much of this is to do with %post scripts?

IMHO we should reduce and remove the use of scripts as far as possible
over the whole of Fedora.  RPM upstream too, but that may be harder.

We should replace %post scripts with more intelligence in RPM, so it
can, for example, create (and _delete_) user accounts on demand, or
run ldconfig when required.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/