Issues with yum

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 27 21:28:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 21:22 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:08:53PM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> >  There are at least 3 classes of bugs here:
>
> How much of this is to do with %post scripts?

 Not much, in that scripts run in a separate process. Everything, in
that while in the middle of a transaction rpm is in control of
everything and thus. anything above rpm can't catch C-c.

> IMHO we should reduce and remove the use of scripts as far as possible
> over the whole of Fedora.  RPM upstream too, but that may be harder.
>
> We should replace %post scripts with more intelligence in RPM, so it
> can, for example, create (and _delete_) user accounts on demand, or
> run ldconfig when required.

 rpm upstream agrees:

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2010-June/002812.html
http://www.rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.9.0#Collections

...any help would be appreciated, I'm sure.