How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Mar 13 21:37:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:26:03PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> CSM boot from install media does work. CSM installations don't reboot successfully, without manual creation of a hybrid MBR.

Yes, and support for handling and managing hybrid MBRs is difficult.
Apple can manage it by simply constraining it to a very simple case.
Create more partitions and disk utility stops wanting to be your friend.
Trying to handle hybrid media in the larger number of storage cases we
have to support is a non-starter.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org