How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 13 21:59:22 UTC 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Yes, and support for handling and managing hybrid MBRs is difficult.
> Apple can manage it by simply constraining it to a very simple case.
> Create more partitions and disk utility stops wanting to be your friend.
> Trying to handle hybrid media in the larger number of storage cases we
> have to support is a non-starter.

Perhaps it's unreasonable to try to handle the larger number of storage cases with Apple hardware, at least in the short/medium term. Limiting the possible cases, it's at least possible to have a functioning system, with a GUI, using CSM-BIOS+hybrid MBR.

With a wider set of cases, I have effectively a useless system in all such cases with EFI, as I have no graphics with either test hardware. And one of them I have neither graphics nor text with built-in display, I can only interact via ssh - requiring a 2nd system to do so.

Chris Murphy