yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Nov 9 19:16:50 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 10:19 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 11/08/2012 03:10 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, I now see there is a "set -e" at the beginning.
>>> Still a little scary.:-)
>>

>> Scary is only the idea. And only because we are not used to do rolling
>> upgrades. Ask somebody from Debian experiance if this is scary ;)
>
> There are some upgrade tasks that you simply cannot do from within a
> running system (ex: usermove).

Serious question: why usrmove is not doable?
If you have all the dirs in your path, and move executable files from one
place to another, why should this fail?

I managed to do a 32 bit -> 64 bit transition (you know, the "absolutely
unsupported" upgrade) on a system which was running an entire KDE session.
My upgrade commands (rpm, yum, bash, everything else) started 32 bit,
then were mixed, then ended to be 64 bit.
Usrmove appears simpler. Am I missing something?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it