yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Juan Rodriguez nushio at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 21:04:53 UTC 2012

I can't comment on UsrMove because I'm quite unfamiliar with it, but I did
manage to upgrade from f17 to f18 using the totally unsupported yum update
--releasever --enablerepo="*testing" --nogpgcheck method.

Computer booted and everything's exactly as it used to (Though I did have
to remove some packages like Calibre because of file conflicts, no big
deal).

I did it on a live system, too. The only thing that failed during that time
was postgres (Which managed to stay borked after it was done and f18
booted, the pg_upgrade method didn't work properly) but other than that and
a much more responsive KDE, I can't see any side effects to this method.

YMMV,
-Nushio

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it>wrote:

> On 11/09/2012 10:19 AM, drago01 wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com>
> wrote:

> >> Scary is only the idea. And only because we are not used to do rolling
> >> upgrades. Ask somebody from Debian experiance if this is scary ;)
> >
> > There are some upgrade tasks that you simply cannot do from within a
> > running system (ex: usermove).
>
> Serious question: why usrmove is not doable?
> If you have all the dirs in your path, and move executable files from one
> place to another, why should this fail?
>
> I managed to do a 32 bit -> 64 bit transition (you know, the "absolutely
> unsupported" upgrade) on a system which was running an entire KDE session.
> My upgrade commands (rpm, yum, bash, everything else) started 32 bit,
> then were mixed, then ended to be 64 bit.
> Usrmove appears simpler. Am I missing something?
>
> --
>    Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it
> --

Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno