Migrating old hardware

Vincenzo Virgilio vincenzo.virgilio1972 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 06:13:18 UTC 2012

Usually I'm a lurker here, but now I have two things to say, and maybe make two of you return to working with renewed responsability.
First of all, i work as network manager at the University of Palermo, Italy, and we have a lug and jug named Sputnix.

I spent last three years of my life pushing the migration of our desktop system to Fedora, becouse i found how make our java (oracle based) program, work.
Libreoffice is our best friend for all the other things.
In 2011 i was able to buy 25 new pc for our office, but i'm not to buy 45 pc in 2012.
Could be we will in 2013, but right now we are using 52 old Ibm original pc built in 2004, many with 512 Mb of ram, just like the Android smartphone i'm using to write this mail.
Finally in Italy the govern realized a law in August, here called Spending Review in which Free Software became the first choice for pubblic administration.
to make everything work i choose Xfce on fedora and used Clonezilla to make speedy migration of machine, just 15 minutes on old Ibm, 7 minutes on new Acer.

Finally, there are a lot of people here that can choose fedora, and many more if Anaconda will put its install memory requirement to 512 mbyte so i can choose Xfce or Lxde without doing more tricky workaround.

On 22-23 of March 2013 we will organize our annual Linux Meeting, in Palermo, you are wellcome.

Vincenzo Virgilio
-- Inviato dal mio cellulare Android con K-9 Mail.