Using Fedora for Gnome development...

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 2 13:28:12 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, April 02, 2013 08:25 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 04:56:34PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 16:26 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>>
>>> When I ran this (which is where I ran into problems) jhbuild installs
>>> python3 and its dependencies, which is what's borking my day job
>>> development.
>>
>> That's odd.  How did you install jhbuild?
>>
>> Oh...did you run "jhbuild bootstrap"?  Don't do that.  If you did,
>> delete your build directory and start over.
>
> The steps I followed were:
>
> 1. clone the jhbuild repo
> 2. ./autogen.sh
> 3. make
> 4. make install
> 5. cd into the gnome-music repo and
> 6. jhbuild sysdeps --install
>
> This pulls in python3 from the Fedora repos.

You can perfectly well have Python 2 and 3 coexisting on the same
Fedora, and use either in your projects.

The packages are made to be installed in parallel, and there shouldn't
be any conflicts.

Many people are developing applications in Python 2 or Python 3 on the
same Fedora machine (myself included).

Unless you're hitting a bug, of course.

Could you give more details on what the problem actually is?

--
Mathieu