Using Fedora for Gnome development...

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 19:31:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:28:12PM +0800, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> You can perfectly well have Python 2 and 3 coexisting on the same
> Fedora, and use either in your projects.
>
> The packages are made to be installed in parallel, and there
> shouldn't be any conflicts.
>
> Many people are developing applications in Python 2 or Python 3 on
> the same Fedora machine (myself included).
>
> Unless you're hitting a bug, of course.
>
> Could you give more details on what the problem actually is?

Sure thing. What I'm hitting is a problem in my day job projects (Qpid
and Proton). In both cases we have core code written in C++ (Qpid) and
C (Proton) and provide language bindings via Swig. We use Cmake as our
build system.

When python3 is installed then, with both projects, Cmake finds Python
3. But when the build environment generates the Python language bindings
it's consistently failing to link the libpython2.7 library, and the build
fails.

When I uninstall python3, Cmake finds Python 2.7 and links it in
correctly and all is good.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/