Revisiting non-rawhide chain-builds

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 21:34:48 UTC 2013

On 10/04/13 07:58 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Wed 10 Apr 2013 10:59:03 AM EDT, Tom Callaway wrote:
>>
>> On 04/10/2013 09:08 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>>
>>> Historically, chain-builds were only supported in the Rawhide
>>> branch because it was the only location that could auto-generate
>>> the buildroot.
>>>
>>> However, the modern version of bodhi now supports allowing users
>>> to submit individual packages to the buildroot of any branch.
>>>
>>> It would make life easier for a great many people if 'fedpkg
>>> chain-build' could gain the capability to automatically submit
>>> buildroot overrides on non-Rawhide branches.
>>
>> My only concern with this is that on non-Rawhide branches, these
>> overrides are temporary. I'd hate for this to result in incomplete
>> update pushes.
>>

> I don't really see how that would be any worse than the current
> situation where updates sometimes land in stable before their
> dependencies do (because Bodhi doesn't yet support listing other
> updates as dependencies).

We've probably been round this roundabout before, but updates are
supposed to be internally consistent. If an update to Package A also
requires Package B to be updated, both packages should be submitted as a
single update. You should not submit one update for A and one for B.
When I catch these cases, I file negative feedback until the updates are
corrected.

I think it might be possible for a sufficiently sophisticated version of
the proposed mechanism to help the packager out with doing this, in
fact: it could help you do a chain build and then submit an update
containing the full chain/set of packages.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey