Revisiting non-rawhide chain-builds

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 13:05:26 UTC 2013

On Wed 10 Apr 2013 05:34:48 PM EDT, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On 10/04/13 07:58 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> My only concern with this is that on non-Rawhide branches,
>>> these overrides are temporary. I'd hate for this to result in
>>> incomplete update pushes.
>>>

>> I don't really see how that would be any worse than the current
>> situation where updates sometimes land in stable before their
>> dependencies do (because Bodhi doesn't yet support listing other
>> updates as dependencies).
>
> We've probably been round this roundabout before, but updates are
> supposed to be internally consistent. If an update to Package A
> also requires Package B to be updated, both packages should be
> submitted as a single update. You should not submit one update for
> A and one for B. When I catch these cases, I file negative feedback
> until the updates are corrected.

The classic response to this is that it means that in order to produce
an update, you must be a package owner for all packages in that set
(or else a provenpackager).

As a hypothetical example, let's take openlmi-storage, which is a
management tool that depends on blivet (which is the storage library
provided by the anaconda project). I have a new version of
openlmi-storage that depends on a new version of blivet. I am unlikely
to be a co-owner of blivet. With our current policy, my choices are
"find a provenpackager to submit all packages as a combined update"
(often difficult and requires negotiation with every package in the
set) or "submit my package and make sure to wait until all
dependencies hit stable" (which is error-prone).

And we have the reverse problem as well. I can recall multiple
situations where we introduced serious (and in one case, nearly
catastrophic) regressions in the nss crypto library because it was
bundled with a Firefox update. Firefox updates almost never even make
it into the update-testing push before getting auto-karma into stable
because of the high usage. So now we haven't gotten appropriate
testing for all of the packages in the set.

> I think it might be possible for a sufficiently sophisticated
> version of the proposed mechanism to help the packager out with
> doing this, in fact: it could help you do a chain build and then
> submit an update containing the full chain/set of packages.

I'd certainly be in favor of that. But as I said above, I don't see
how what I originally proposed is functionally any worse than things
are now. It's following the exact same process, just taking some of
the needless drudgery out of it.