Proposed F19 Feature: Virtio RNG

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Feb 1 23:49:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Given FIPS paranoia about RNG sources, does this have knock-on effects in
> the FIPS compliance of guests depending on how it's fed in the host?

(Hoping for an answer from someone who has actually fully analyzed the
FIPS RNG situation and requirements; in the meantime...)

FIPS generally prefers using a deterministic RNG, seeded only once,
with a fairly small amount of entropy (64-512 bits, much smaller than
the 4k we usually think of as the "/dev/random entropy pool"); so this
would imply asking the host for that small amount of "strong" entropy
on boot, using it to seed with (some of?) it the kernel RNGs, and then
seeding user-space from the kernel RNGs without asking the host for
more entropy.

I think that even in FIPS mode /dev/urandom continues to operate more
or less unmodified (and would thus probably continuously seed from the
host), but that needs confirming by someone with actual knowledge.
   Mirek