Proposed F19 Feature: Virtio RNG

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 19:25:32 UTC 2013

> Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) said:
> > This patchset means that there's a /dev/hwrng available in the guest, so
> > you still need to run something like rngd to mix that into the kernel's
> > entropy pool.
>
> Speaking of, why is it a thing that we need a separate userspace daemon
> to dump data from kernel bucket A (/dev/hwrng) into kernel bucket B
> (the entropy pool)?

I completely agree with Bill here. I think this mechanism should be just
built into kernel and for the paranoid it should definitely be
controllable by sysctl (even maybe off by default although in initial
seeding of the kernel entropy pool it would be very nice to have it on).

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb