Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 4 06:09:47 UTC 2013

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Features/Cinnamon as Default Desktop =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Cinnamon_as_Default_Desktop
>
> Feature owner(s): Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com>
>
> This feature proposes that Fedora switch the default desktop interface
> from Gnome 3 to Cinnamon. Cinnamon provides a desktop interface that is
> more familiar to Windows and Gnome 2 users than the standard Gnome Shell
> interface, while being built from Gnome 3 components.

So my feelings about this are mixed: While:
* I disagree about the need for a default, or at least about emphasizing the
  default as much as we do now (direct ISO link etc.),
* I think KDE Plasma Desktop would be the better default (see also
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_Plasma_Desktop_by_default ,
  which I had proposed for Fedora 16, but which got summarily rejected due
  to lack of endorsement by the rest of KDE SIG),
I support this feature anyway, just because it is not GNOME 3 ;-) , or more
accurately, because it is about defaulting to a more traditional desktop
than the very unconventional gnome-shell.

        Kevin Kofler