Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:15:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:58:22 +0800
Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> But your statement was even less backed by data. ;)

I was assuming the case of newcomers doing the switch "by themselves",
coming from Windows (supposedly pre Win8), in rare cases from Mac OS X.
My data is generally known -- just look over the internet, or even usage
statistics (yeah I know they're far from exact). The introduction of
gnome shell and ubuntu unity is the reason why cinnamon and mate exist
and why XFCE regained popularity. Sure, some people later switched back
to GS or UU, but that no longer counts as *first* impressions. Even many
of the GS promoters are defending it with words like "after using it a
bit you'll start to really like it". That's not *first* impression.

Your Mum and Dad are in a different situation -- you "forced"
them to use GS, they've been put in a different kind of situation than
newcomer that decided to try Fedora by himself.

But yeah, I'm *not* claiming I'm correct. These are my impressions and
opinions only ;-)

Martin