Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 6 08:58:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 09:42 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> First impression does a lot and gnome shell isn't especially good with
> *first* impressions.

In my experience, it is actually brilliant for first impressions.

I recently upgraded my parents' computer from Fedora 16 with GNOME
Fallback to Fedora 18 with GNOME Shell.

I had to explain quickly to my mum (a basic computer user), where her
stuff was, and her first words were (about the overview) "I like this,
it's much easier to know where my windows are" (she never understood the
concept of the taskbar, she always thought her windows were disappearing
and kept opening more)

For my dad (even less skilled than my mum), I rushed to the computer
yelling "waaaaait! I have to explain the new things to you!!!" and found
him already doing his stuff. When I asked, he said "Oh, I guessed
'activities' was for doing stuff, so I went there and found the orange
icon to go to the Internet".

Both found it easier to use than GNOME 2 or GNOME 3 Fallback. Both liked
it much better, from the first time they tried it.

Granted, it's purely anecdata and they probably aren't the Fedora target
user.

But your statement was even less backed by data. ;)

--
Mathieu