glpk soname bump expected?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Feb 4 16:07:00 UTC 2013

On 02/03/2013 03:47 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:54:23 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>
>> Looks like going from glpk 4.47 to 4.48 bumped the soname from
>> libglpk.so.0 to libglpk.so.33.  Something tells me this was not expected
>> and is not correct.  Can this be verified?
>>

> Could be an accident in the upstream tarball indeed, because I only
> checked that it's not a package where the spec file messes with the
> soname and the library links.
>
> rpmsodiff and rpmsoname are helpful for library maintainers!
>

> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=3671777
>
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so	17
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so.33	17
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so.33.0.0	978392
>

> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=3220245
>
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so	17
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so.0	17
> /usr/lib64/libglpk.so.0.32.0	962056

Hmm, that makes it seem even more likely that upstream fat-fingered something.

Although: http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/glpk.html
does indicate that ABI has been broken (although it has been done so in the
past without bumping the soname).

--
Orion Poplawski
NWRA, Boulder Office                  FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com