Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:59:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:16:36AM -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>     But the fact that the packages conflict should stand in the way.
>

> We don't have any guidelines that forbids it.

Just a note for people searching the mailing list later:

We do have Guidelines that prohibit Conflicts in many cases:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts

However, the FPC recently (in the last year) added this general exception:

" However, if neither upstream is willing to rename the binaries to resolve
the conflict, AND the binaries are not viable candidates for alternatives or
environment modules (incompatible runtimes), as long as there are no clear
cases for both packages to be installed simultaneously, explicit Conflicts
are permitted at the packager's discretion. Both packages must carry
Conflicts in this case."

which this case seems to fall under.

-Toshio